The Student News Site of Northwest Yeshiva High School

The Mane Idea

The Mane Idea

The Mane Idea

Girls’ volleyball returns after four-year break

Elianna Rothstein

The NYHS girls’ volleyball team started the 2023 season strong by winning its first game against Concordia Christian Academy with just five players. 

However, the team almost didn’t exist. “We tried last year but we just couldn’t get the numbers,” said Paige Reed, the girls’ volleyball co-coach. According to Reed, seniors Jenna Kaufthal and Rose Clayman have been working to get a team started since last year. 

During the fall season, the team had two wins and eight losses. Despite this, they went through the season with high spirits and good sportsmanship. “We’re a baby team,” said co-captain Paulina Gamel. “We’re not gonna be the greatest team out there.” 

Co-coach Michelle Pearce “was really important during this season,” Gamel said. Pearce, who has only been at NYHS for one year, was a huge advocate for the team, pushing for new volleyballs and jerseys.

The team has three people who have never played volleyball before and four who haven’t played since middle school. “Watching them during each game, they’re just getting better and better,” Pearce said. “The growth has been phenomenal this year.”

On October 16, the team celebrated its seniors in a final home game against Pope John Paul II, a Catholic school in Lacey, Washington.  

The team honored the two seniors, Kaufthal and Clayman, who celebrated their season on the volleyball team. Kaufthal and Clayman were individually called up with their families. Gamel wrote a tribute to Kaufthal, saying, “Jenna was our rock during this season.” Kaufthal also gave a tribute to Clayman, saying “Having Rose as a teammate is truly a blessing.” They received flower leis and balloons. 

Gamel, Kaufthal, and Clayman played huge roles in making the volleyball team possible, according to Reed. After a hard-fought game that night, they won one out of four sets. “It was our first time getting to the fourth set in a while,” Reed said. “It was the perfect night to do that.”