Hanukkah Events at NYHS 2023

Menorah lit at the pre basketball NYHS Hannukah party.
Sephi Alhadeff

The NYHS Student Council, with the assistance of Rabbi Hason, organized a festive spirit day on December 11th, to celebrate Hanukkah. The school arranged additional spirit days for the students including a field trip and Hanukkah team competitions. 

As Thursday was the first night of Hanukkah, the celebration began the following day with “ugly sweater day” in which the NYHS students and staff were encouraged to come to school dressed in an “ugly” Hanukkah sweater. After lunch, on Friday, the students decorated doughnuts from Krispy Kreme.

The following week, on Monday, NYHS held a Hanukkah Amazing Race, a scavenger hunt with Hanukkah-related activities. For the activities, the Student Council divided the school into six separate groups. Each group had to unlock a clue, revealing the location of their next activity. It started with solving puzzles, followed by shooting at Menorah flames with water guns, digging gelt out of flour, looking for names and words related to Hanukkah in a siddur, and memorizing Maoz Tzur. At the end of the scavenger hunt, the first three teams to successfully complete all tasks were rewarded with a prize. 

The school went ice skating on Tuesday at Sno King Ice Arena in Kirkland, Washington. This was an opportunity to spend time outside of school doing something fun and engaging for the students and staff.

On Wednesday, after a special Tefillah with musical hallel, which is a portion of the prayer service said on certain Jewish holidays. NYHS parents Miriam Levy and Cynthia Gamel, in collaboration with the Student Council, arranged a tasty Rosh Chodesh breakfast. 

On Thursday, NYHS returned to its regular schedule, but there was a Hanukkah party at Seattle Hebrew Academy, planned by Beth Jacoby, before the girls basketball game against the Summit Classical Christian School from Bellevue, Washington. The party included a pre-lighting menorah ceremony with singing, carnival activities, and food. 

With all of the activities the students participated in, the entire week was a success for both the students and the staff. “I enjoyed all of the activities we did this whole week and the overall energy everyone had,” junior Zach Saltsman said.