Senior profiles 2023

This year’s Northwest Yeshiva High School seniors are heading off to college and yeshiva. Teacher and head of Judaics, Rabbi Rothstein, who has taught each senior, leaves the class with this message: “The graduating seniors have completed four years of exploring their Jewish journey and writing pages in their books. My message is that they should all continue to grow in their connections to Hashem and continue every day with writing their own pages in their own books while they continue to explore their Jewish journey.” 

Emma Almo

Emma Almo has loved the small school experience she has received from NYHS. “Since we have such a small school, we really have the opportunity to learn from our teachers and have that personal relationship,” Almo said. Her favorite class has been Rabbi Rothstein’s Talmud class. Almo will be going straight to Barnard College in the fall. In the future, she hopes to go into architecture. The most important lesson Almo has learned is that you are never alone. “There is lots of support, you just need to take advantage,” Almo said. Her advice for future students is that four years go by quickly and to take advantage of the small classes and environment.

Nathan Britt

Nathan Britt has loved learning throughout high school. His favorite class was calculus with Ms. DeFunis. His favorite experience was sophomore year having a persuasive speech assignment where he gave a presentation about “deep water Jews.” Britt will be going to Rutgers University in the fall and will be majoring in math. “There are a million things I could do,” Britt said. The most important lesson Britt has learned is an integral is a summation and for future students to remember it’s only four years and don’t aggravate teachers.

Merav Frank

Merav Frank joined NYHS during the second semester of her junior year and has loved the community. Her favorite experience was the March of the Living Trip and she said it was a great summation of the time she had. Frank will be attending the University of Washington in the fall and is considering informatics and chemistry. She is interested in the medical or law field. Frank’s favorite class was Talmud. The most important lesson she has learned is that you can learn a lot from other people and for future students to take it easy and not stress too much about any one thing.

Isaiah Gabbay

Isaiah Gabbay is glad he came to NYHS and thinks the school environment is nice. “Every minute is in control, unlike public schools,” Gabbay said. His favorite class was history freshman year with Mr. Kaufman. Gabbay will be attending Binghamton University in New York and will decide his major when in college. “I think it’s a great fit for me,” Gabbay said. The most important lesson he has learned is to be grateful for what you have and for future students to take advantage of all the opportunities. “Try to enjoy them because it goes by really fast,” Gabbay said.

Joseph Gamel

Joseph Gamel came back to NYHS for his senior year after leaving before his sophomore year. His favorite experience was during his freshman year before school started, when each freshman was paired up with a senior buddy. “Whenever I had issues…my senior buddy was always able to help me,” Gamel said. Gamel’s favorite class is history with Mr. Scheindlin. After high school, Gamel will be attending Yeshivat Migdal HaTorah in Modi’in, Israel, and will be joining the Israel Defence Forces afterward. “I’m very passionate about Israel and I want to be able to protect what I believe to be my homeland, he said. “As a Jew, it is and will always be my homeland.” After three years in the IDF, he will start at Reichman University in Herzliya, Israel. The most important lesson Gamel has learned is if you’re ever having a tough time, it will get better, and tomorrow is always a new day. For future students, Gamel advises to not stress about your grades too much and that your grades aren’t your life.

Max Kutepov

Max Kutepov has enjoyed his NYHS experience especially when they have assemblies. He loved when the school has events that can be used as a time to reflect and think, such as the Yom HaZikaron ceremony. Kutepov’s favorite classes have been Talmud and history. In the fall, Kutepov will be starting at West Governors University, an online college. After he finishes he will attend Yeshiva and then get a job. He hopes to acquire a computer science degree and look for a job in that area. The most important lesson he has learned is that everyone is different and sees their positive aspects because of it. “Everyone has their own background and kind of accepting people… and seeing their achievements and strengths,” Kutepov said. Kutepov’s future advice for students is to use high school as a time of growth and don’t try to rush it.

Daniel Negrin

Daniel Negrin has been at NYHS for all four years of high school. At first, he wasn’t planning on going to NYHS but he ended up loving it. His favorite class during his high school experience was Talmud with Rabbi Rothstein. Negrin said that his greatest experience was the March of the Living trip where people from all around the world joined together to march from the Auschwitz Holocaust concentration camp to the Birkenau concentration camp. “That was like a final experience with my entire class and it was just great,” Negrin said. Negrin will be attending Indiana University in the fall, where he will major in business and hopes to do some form of management in the future. The most important lesson Negrin has learned from high school is to not be mean and for future students to just have fun and don’t try to make it harder for themselves. “You know your limits and you know what you want to do,” Negrin said.

Michael Rosenfeld

Michael Rosenfeld is proud of his hard work throughout high school. One of his favorite memories is when he received a 300/300 on his term paper with Mr. Kaufman in his favorite class. Rosenfeld’s greatest experience was the March of the Living Poland/Israel trip. “There was a solitary tear down my face,” Rosenfeld said when talking about his visit to the Majedanek concentration camp. Rosenfeld will take a gap year in Israel at Yeshivat Ma’ale Gilboa and attend Binghamton University next year. He plans on majoring in neuroscience or psychology. Rosenfeld has thought of being a doctor or some form of academic such as a professor and hopes to write a book someday. The most important lesson he has learned is hard work pays off and for future students to take notes. 

Yehonatan Rothstein

Yehonatan Rothstein’s high school experience has been elevated by the feeling of home that NYHS has. “We show a lot of pride whether it’s sports or anything we do,” Rothstein said. He will be taking a gap year at Yeshivat Migdal HaTorah in Modi’in, Israel, and will be in a combat unit in the Israel Defence Forces. After the IDF, Rothstein will attend either Yeshiva University or Reichman University in Herzliya, Israel, and hopes to do something with sociology. The most important lesson he has learned is to make connections and his advice for future students is to have fun and don’t be too stressed.

Jacob Weichbrodt

Jacob Weichbrodt loved the sports and culture NYHS gave him. His favorite class was generally history or Talmud with Rabbi Rothstein or Mrs. Rothstein. His most enjoyable time during high school was freshman year at lunch. “We all sat together, talked together… it felt like a school,” Weichbrodt said. Weichbrodt will be taking a gap year at Yeshivat Torat Shraga in Jerusalem and the following year will go to Yeshiva University in New York. The most important lesson Weichbrodt has learned is to prioritize your work. His advice for future students is that four years will be up sooner than you think.