NYHS awards academic excellence and community leadership

Hannah Hason

Michael Rosenfeld and Emma Almo

NYHS has named Michael Rosenfeld valedictorian and granted graduating senior Emma Almo Almo with the Et Laasot Award. 

Rosenfeld achieved the highest academic standing among his senior-class peers. This award not only recognizes his 4.02 weighted GPA but also acknowledges how he took advantage of the rigorous courses offered at NYHS. “Michael is not only an incredibly thoughtful young man but also a leader within our school community,” said Head of School Jason Feld.

During his time at NYHS, Rosenfeld discovered a passion for US history, specifically under the guidance of Mr. Steve Kaufman. Rosenfeld found interest in learning about changes over time and different wars. 

Rosenfeld’s advice for current and incoming students to succeed academically is to “reach out to your teachers for help and make sure to take good notes.” 

The Et Laasot Award is in memory of Irwin Elyn, who was invested in Jewish education. This award is given every year to a student who demonstrates exceptional leadership and involvement within the community. This prestigious award pays tribute to students who are active members of their community as the Hebrew name literally translates to “to do.”  “NYHS isn’t just about academics,” said Principal Deirdre Schreiber, “it’s about middot and Torah values.” 

Almo is a school ambassador, Dvar Torah coordinator, science bowl member, and former student council member.

“Having known Emma since her freshman year, she was always quick to step up and become a leader and positive role model for the school,” said Feld. 

“In a small community, small opportunities can lead to very big changes, which can make a huge difference,” says Almo. She also expresses gratitude to her teachers at NYHS who have assisted and supported her in all her endeavors over her time at NYHS. 

“I want to continue making a difference here even as an alumnus,” said Almo. “I would love to come back and perhaps be on the board and stay a part of this incredible community.”

Feld expressed his pride in both award winners and wishes everyone the best as he is moving on to Dallas, Texas, next school year. “I am extremely proud of both award winners,” he said. “I will miss the seniors and all of the students next year and I wish everyone only mazal and beracha.”